- Learn the pinyin and correct stroke order for the 6 characters introduced in lesson 4 using your writing workbook, Cyberchinese-Online, or right here on this page. Click the Chinese characters listed at the top of the page.
- Learn the new vocabulary introduced in lesson 4. You can practice with the online Table Building Activity.
- Be able to confidently introduce your friend to your parents, or your parents to your friend.
- Be able to fluently say the following words and sentences in Mandarin:
- father, mother, brother, friend
- This is my friend.
- This is my father (mother, brother).
- Hello! (to more than one person)
- Familiarize yourself with the information about the Chinese language on page 28 of the Practical Chinese Reader textbook.
- MandarinTools.com has a great page listing all of the Chinese family relationship titles.
- The YouTube feed "Off the Great Wall" has an interesting video explaining The Complicated Chinese Family Tree.
- China Smack helps us understand how an online short film (6 mins), “Heaven’s Lunch” Chinese Short Film About Filial Piety, went viral.
- Demonstrative 這 [zhè]: this:Used like 'this' in English, but for now we will use it only by itself and not with nouns. We will say things like, "This is my book." and not "This book is mine."這是我哥哥。
- Verb 是 [shiì]: to be :Noun Phrase + 是 + Noun Phrase
The verb 是 joins two noun phrases, identifying a relationship between the two.
Don't be tempted to use 是 with an adjective in a descriptive sentence. Adjectives in Mandarin are full predicates, and as such do not require the verb 'to be'. Remember we call them stative verbs or adjectival predicates.
Use 不是 to negate a 是 sentence.我媽媽是他朋友。
- Identifying People Using 這是:這是 is a simple way to identify a person or thing, or to introduce someone.這是我爸爸。