- Learn the pinyin and correct stroke order for the 5 characters introduced in lesson 7 using your writing workbook, Cyberchinese-Online, or right here on this page. Click the Chinese characters listed at the top of the page.
- Learn the new vocabulary introduced in lesson 7. You can practice with the online Table Building Activity.
- Be able to confidently ask and answer the questions: Whose is this...? What is this...?
- Fluently use the following words and sentences in Mandarin:
- what, map, look
- Whose map is this?
- What map is this?
|長江||Cháng Jiāng||The Yangtze River|
|黃河||Huáng Hé||The Yellow River|
|長城||Chángchéng||The Great Wall|
|南美洲||Nán Mĕi Zhōu||South America|
- Are you familiar with with the layout of China. Can you locate 北京 (Bĕijīng)? What about 上海 (Shànghăi), 長江 (Chángjiāng), and 黃河 (Huánghé)? Below are a couple of maps you can use for reference. There is also a simple map in your textbook.
- The Interrogative 什麼 [shénme]: what, what kind:
Similar to the English equivalent 什麼 can be used by itself, as the object of a sentence, or placed before a noun to ask for more specific information.
Like the content question words introduced in the previous lesson the word order of 什麼 questions is the same as their answer. The question is answered by replacing the question word with an appropriate answer.Question: 什麼？ What?
Answer: 你忙嗎？ Are you busy?Question: 這是什麼地圖？ What kind of map is this?
Answer: 那是中國地圖。 That is a map of China.Question: 那是什麼書？ What kind of book is that?
Answer: 這是我的漢語書。 This is my Chinese book.Question: 她是什麼老師？ What kind of teacher is she?
Answer: 她是漢語老師。 She is a Mandarin teacher.