- Learn the pinyin and correct stroke order for the 8 characters introduced in lesson 6 using your writing workbook, Cyberchinese-Online, or right here on this page. Click the Chinese characters listed at the top of the page.
- Learn the new vocabulary introduced in lesson 6. You can practice with the online Table Building Activity.
- Be able to confidently ask and answer the questions: Who is...? What nationality is...?
- Know your nationality in Mandarin. Check this list of over 200 country names to find your nationality.
- Be able to fluently say the following words and questions in Mandarin:
- which, country, person, who, teacher, Chinese
- Who is that?
- What is his/her nationality?
- Who is your Chinese teacher?
- Vocabulary from lesson 1-6
- Quiz yourself online using the Multiple Choice Challenge at the ChineseHideout main page (Select the your textbook and lesson groups you want to review under the vocabulary tab.)
- Table matching activity
- Drag & Drop vocabulary activity
- Below is a music video from two popular Chinese pop singers Genie Zhuo (卓文萱, Zhuó Wénxuān) and Gary Cao (曹格, Cáo Gé) titled "梁山伯與茱麗葉" (Liang Shanbo and Juliet). The song title is a formed by combining the names of the protagonists in two classic loves stories 梁山伯 (Liang Shanbo), the name of the tragic Tang Dynasty Romeo, and Shakespeare's Juliet (茱歷葉, Zhū Lìyè). See how many characters you recognize in this Karaoke version.
- Nouns Used as Modifiers:In Chinese we can use one or more nouns to modify another noun. For example:Chinese language teacher -> 漢語老師
Chinese person -> 中國人
American car -> 美國車
- Interrogative Words:
- General Usage:
We learned how to form questions using 嗎 and 呢, another way to form a question in Chinese is to use an interrogative word like who, which, where, when and why. In this lesson we learn two of these words.
In Chinese making questions with interrogative words does not require changing the grammatical structure of a statement. Sometimes it is easier to think of a response to the question, then replace the part of the sentence containing a possible answer with a question word. For example:Possible Answer: He is her doctor. -> Question: He is who? OR Who is her doctor?
Possible Answer:他是她的大夫。 -> Question: 他是誰？ OR 誰是她的大夫？
Possible Answer:他們的漢語老師是王老師。-> Question:他們的漢語老師是誰？Possible Answer: That is his car. -> Question: That is whose car?
Possible Answer: 那是他的車。 -> Question: 那是誰的車？
- The Interrogative 誰 [shéi]: who:
As explained above a who question does not change the structure of a normal statement.
We can also add the possessive particle 的 to ask whose, 誰的.Question:她是誰？ Answer:她是我弟弟的朋友。
- The Interrogative 哪 [nǎ]: which:
Since a special type of word must come between 哪 and the noun that follows, for the time being we can only use 哪 to ask 哪國人？ We will learn about those special words and how to use them in lesson 15.Question:你是哪國人？ Answer:我是美[měi]國人。
- General Usage: